How to Clean your Leather Wallet
Leather wallets are very popular due to their majestic look and durability. With proper maintenance, they are extremely durable and long-lasting. Most of the time, we don’t realise how dirty our leather wallet gets. It is really important to care and maintain our leather wallets to extend their life.
1. Empty out your wallet. Pull anything and everything that isn't attached to your wallet out and set it aside. Pictures especially as they can get damaged in the cleaning process.
2. Wipe down your entire wallet with anti bacterial disinfectant wipes. Money changes hands constantly and is one of the dirtiest things we come in contact with on a daily basis. There is no telling what kinds of bacteria are growing inside your wallet.
3. Rub down your leather wallet with leather cleaner on a soft cloth. Make sure to scrub the folds and cracks of your wallet the best that you can.
4. Apply a leather conditioner using the same cloth on the wallet liberally in order to soak the leather. This will help rejuvenate and condition the old worn leather.
5. After your wallet has completely dried, replace all of your credit cards, cash, photos, and other papers you may have.
- The simplest way to keep your wallets clean is to wipe out dust over them from time to time.
- You can make your own leather cleaner at home by mixing one part white vinegar with two parts neat’s-foot oil. Use a white lint free cloth to apply this solution to the leather in a swirling motion.
- You can apply shoe polish, olive oil, beeswax or walnut oil to the leather wallet and buff with a chamois cloth to a shine.
- Use saddle soap to clean the leather wallet first and later condition it using a leather conditioner. This will increase your wallet’s life and water proof it also.
- Apply petroleum jelly or waterless hand cleaner over the spots, rub in a circular motion and efface with a clean cloth. These products work as conditioners also.
- Make some soapy water and use a cotton towel to lightly scrub your wallet. Later, hydrate the wallet with some mink oil (easily available at any leather accessory store).
- In case your wallet gets wet, soak water using a sponge, newspaper or a cloth. Let the leather dry naturally and follow any of the tips given above to clean and condition your wallet.